Cats urinating in the house
The problem of cats urinating in the house can be a major source of frustration. This behaviour can be separated into 3 main groups.
- Some cats who display this behaviour have bladder infaections or cystitis.
- Cats who spray urine on vertical surfaces in small amounts are often suffering from anxiety.
This anxiety may or may not be obvious to their owners – it is not always easy to see things from a cat’s point of view!
Attempting to remove the stress, pheromone therapy such as Feliway, or sometimes even anti-anxiety medications can be successful.
- There are also cats who choose to urinate or defecate outside the litter box due to problems associated with the litter box. It may be that the cat:
- Does not like the location of the box;
- Will not use it if it is soiled;
- Prefers open/ closed style;
- Or perhaps does not like the smell of the disinfectant used to clean it.
It may alternatively be that your cat prefers to eliminate on a particular type of surface, or in a particular location.
If your cat suffers from any of these conditions please come and see us – we have lots of information and are here to help!